Smoked Salmon Jalapeno Popper
Chef Kristin M Johnson
1 QT water 10 cloves 10 peppercorns
10 allspice berries ½ cup salt 1 bay leaf
¾ cup honey ¼ cup tequila ¼ cup lemon juice
12-18 jalapeños cut in ½ - seeded & de-ribbed
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
¾ cup mix shredded cheese (jack & cheddar)
¼ cup parmesan cheese
6-8 oz smoked salmon
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups dry bread crumbs
1. Combine all ingredients.
1 LG Salmon filet ~ 1 ½ lbs
2. In large GLASS/ceramic dish put brine & salmon – make sure salmon is covered.
Brine for at least 2 hours or overnight (no longer than 24 hrs)
3. Rinse the Salmon w/ cold water and pat dry. Let sit on rack and dry for an additional 1 hour.
4. Preheat Smoker.
5. Top salmon w/ lemon pepper & Slicks BBQ sauce
6. Smoke for 4 hours. Check every hour to see if it needs more BBQ (apply no more than 2 extra times during process)
1. In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, cheese mix and smoked salmon. Spoon this mixture into the jalapeno pepper halves.
2. Put the milk and flour into two separate small bowls. Dip the stuffed jalapenos first into the milk then into the flour, making sure they are well coated with each. Allow the coated jalapenos to dry for about 10 minutes.
3. Dip the jalapenos in milk again and roll them through the breadcrumbs. Allow them to dry, then repeat to ensure the entire surface of the jalapeno is coated.
4. Deep fry from fresh 1.5 minutes
5. Deep fry from frozen 3 minutes