Dump Hunger Food Drive
January 7, 2013 — February 8, 2013
This event is over.
Pasco Western States Equipment Company.
About the Drive
• Dump Hunger is a post-holiday food drive sponsored by Western States Equipment, Albertsons and Wells Fargo. The timing of Dump Hunger is critical for food banks as January and February are the most challenging months for food donations.
• Western States, Albertsons and Wells Fargo, are committed to giving back to the communities in which we live and serve. One way we do this is by hosting a food drive that our employees, customers and partners can rally around to help our friends and neighbors.
• Our Western States branch is excited to partner with our local Albertsons and Wells Fargo to help restock the pantries of local food banks throughout the Intermountain West for January and February, as these months are the lowest for food donations.
About the 2013 Campaign
• The Dump Hunger campaign will run from January 7th to February 8th. Our goal is to gather 375,000 pounds of food – equal to five CAT 730 truckloads.
• Anyone interested in donating food can do so at our local Western States branch or your local Albertsons. Western States CAT branches and Wells Fargo locations will also accept monetary donations.
About the Need
• In 2011, 50.1 million Americans lived in food insecure households, 33.5 million adults and 16.7 million children.
• The Idaho Foodbank has more than doubled its annual distribution numbers in recent history, from 5.5 million pounds in 2008 to 11.4 million pounds in 2012.
• Second Harvest has seen the need for its services increase by 25% since 2011.
• When the calendar turns to January, donations to local food banks drop dramatically – a 36% decrease on average in Idaho alone, according to the Idaho Foodbank.
Items of Greatest Need
• While specific needs vary, each food bank can use the following items:
o Boxed meals (Mac &Cheese, Hamburger Helper, etc.)
o Peanut butter
o Canned fruit
o Canned meals (soup, chili, stew, etc.)
o Canned vegetables
o Dried beans
o Stuffing mix
o Pasta sauce