Seven People Displaced By Early Morning Apartment Fire in Yakima

Seven people are displaced after an early morning fire devastated an apartment complex on the 300 block of South 3rd Street in Yakima.

Firefighters say the fire, which started just after 7 a.m. Saturday, was likely caused by bedding being placed too close to a portable electric heater and being used with an extension cord. One occupant woke to fire in his bedding.

Firefighters were able to accomplish a quick knock down of the fire, but due to atypical construction completing extinguishment took several hours. An older type of construction allowed fire to travel inside walls and attic spaces. Additionally, low outdoor temperatures took its toll on fire crews as they worked to ensure the fire was out.

Off duty firefighters were brought to the scene for this difficult fire.  A search of the structure confirmed that all occupants had escaped. There were no civilian injuries.  One firefighter suffered injuries, but refused transport to the hospital.  25 firefighters worked on extinguishing the fire.

Damage is estimated at $80,000.  The structure was heavily damaged and will probably be considered a complete loss.
 
The American Red Cross and family members are relocating the families.