Jury deliberations begin in Jacobsen manslaughter trial

<p>Kelli Anne Jacobsen</p>

Kelli Anne Jacobsen

The fate of a former nanny accused of being responsible for the death of the one-year-old boy she was watching over nearly two years ago is now in the hands of a jury.

Today, attorneys gave their closing arguments in the manslaughter trial of Kelli Jacobsen.

Prosecuting attorneys accused Jacobsen of shaking and, or hitting Ryder Morrision, causing his death.

But Jacobsen's attorney says there is no evidence at all that Jacobsen is responsible for Ryder's death.

Now, a jury will decide who is right.

After eight days of testimony and about three hours of closing arguments this morning, the manslaughter trial of Kelli Jacobsen is now in the hands of a jury.

The former nanny is charged with first degree aggravated manslaughter in the death of one-year-old Ryder Morrison - the boy she was watching over nearly two years ago.

"The defendant is not a bad person. She did something that day that she regrets as we speak" said Andy Miller, Benton County prosecutor.

Jacobsen was watching Ryder at his Richland home on June 22, 2011, when she called 911 to report an injury just after noon.

She said Ryder fell off a toy, but several doctors who testified during the trial said Ryder's injuries were indicative of child abuse.

Prosecutors believe Jacobsen was very tired that morning, and she got frustrated and lost her temper.

"The defendant was frustrated and out of her frustration, and her being tired, she either shook or hit, or shook and hit Ryder in a reckless manner" said Miller.

But Jacobsen's attorney Scott Johnson, says there is no evidence Jacobsen was involved in Ryder's death and there is no evidence she was irritated or frustrated with Ryder that morning.

"The state wants you to believe that in approximately 15 minutes, this person, this young woman for reasons we don't know, snapped and killed a child, in the space of time that big. When again, there's been zero evidence in this case of any problems at all" said Johnson.

Johnson says when Jacobsen noticed Ryder was injured, she quickly called 911.

"She didn't wait around. She didn't put Ryder up in his room, making it look like he was taking a nap, doesn't do anything, other than get him help immediately" said Johnson.

To cast more doubt on the prosecution's case, Johnson says Ryder's mother, Tawney Johnson may have played a role in his death - he suggested Ryder may have fallen off a kitchen counter while in her care the day before he died.

He also said Ryder may have died from accidental or unknown causes.

But prosecutors are asking the jury to let Ryder's injuries speak for themselves.