Forensic pathologist testifies in Jacobsen trial

<p>Kelli Anne Jacobsen</p>

Kelli Anne Jacobsen

The forensic pathologist who conducted the autopsy on a Richland one year-old who died in 2011 testifies that some of the boy's injuries were indicative of child abuse.

Dr. Daniel Selove testified today that he found more than a dozen bruises and abrasions on Ryder Morrison's body and inspected some bone fractures as well.

Ryder's former nanny Kelli Anne Jacobsen, is charged with manslaughter in Ryder's June 2011 death.

Jacobsen was watching over Ryder the day he died, when she called 911 to report an injury.

She told paramedics Ryder had fallen off a toy about six inches tall.

But Dr. Selove believes a fall like that would not explain the severity of Ryder's injuries, and that something else may have caused them.

He believes one specific bruise and some bone fractures on his arm were the result of abusive trauma.

"These are areas that are not fractured in the course of every day events of a 12 month old. It requires great force and furthermore, that type of location of fracture has been described in numerous studies of abused children" said Dr. Selove.

Dr. Selove determined Ryder's cause of death to be abusive head trauma.

Today, he also talked about the timing of Ryder's injuries.

He says the bruises he found on Ryder's body were fresh, and they could have happened minutes before paramedics took Ryder to the ER.

Dr. Selove says after you receive a bruise or an abrasion, your body goes through a cell repair process which usually starts 4 to 15 hours after the injury.

He says he did not see any cell repair when he did the autopsy right after Ryder's death.

Meaning, the injuries would have happened no more than 15 hours before his death, or about 13 hours before Ryder was taken to the ER.

Prosecutors believe the injury took place shortly before the 911 call was made, because Ryder's mother came home for lunch the day Ryder died and played with him and said he was happy and healthy.

The 911 call was made shortly after Ryder's mother returned to work.

Under cross examination, Dr. Selove also said it was possible the bruising could have taken place after Ryder was taken to the hospital.