City Deals With More Mold Problems
The roofs on the police and fire departments in Union Gap are going to need replacing due to toxic mold found in them.
The Union Gap City Council is trying to resolve a toxic mold problem that has shut down city hall.
The mayor says no one wants to return to the old city hall which may have made some employees sick.
They are weighing all potential options, including starting from scratch.
Jim lemon:"The cost of putting new roofs on and the cost of cleaning up the mold- the few places where mold was found and see if that cost is more expensive than just building a new city hall- with a fire department and police department- right here on this lot," says Jim Lemon.
A decision to either repair the damages or to build a new building will be made in the next couple of months.
Unlike city hall, the mold found in the police and fire departments is not airborne, making the building safe for employees.