Zillah Police & School District Announce New School Safety Procedures
In response to the Newtown, Connecticut elementary school shooting tragedy and the statements made on Facebook by a Zillah man, the Zillah Police Department and the Zillah School District are jointly implementing new measures to ensure the safety of students and staff and the security of school facilities.
In a letter released today, the following steps were announced:
• Starting when students and staff return to school on Wednesday, January 2, 2013 Zillah Police officers will have a greater presence on our school campuses.
• At all schools a greater emphasis will be placed on securing school facilities.
• Each school building will be reviewing their emergency procedures and crisis management plans.
• We will provide education to staff and students about current safety concerns and crisis prevention.
• We are asking students, staff, parents and community members to have a greater sense of awareness as to their surroundings with regards to school safety.
The Zillah Police Department and the Zillah School District will be hosting a community meeting on January 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM in the Zillah High School Performing Arts Center. The topic of the meeting is school and community safety.