Stage 1 Burn Ban Declared for Upper and Lower Yakima County Areas
From the Yakima Regional Clear Air Agency-
The Pollution Control Officer for the Yakima Regional Clean Air Agency has declared a Stage 1 Burn Ban for both the Upper and Lower Yakima County areas, due to residual smoke originating from the Cle Elum wildfire.
From the News: Estimates are that the wildfire has burned at least 26,000 acres -- 41 square miles -- since it started Monday afternoon east of the town of Cle Elum and has destroyed 60 homes as it continues toward the Ellensburg area.
- PM2.5 Air Quality levels are into the Unhealthy (Red) level, and
- Weather predictions are for conditions of continued poor air dispersion, coupled with recurrent episodes of little or no wind activity, extending possibly into Wednesday
- Agricultural Burn allocation are 0 piles per request for Upper and 0 for the Lower Today.
- We will continue to evaluate the burn ban status at regular intervals
- During Unhealthy (Red) Air Quality Conditions –
- People with heart or lung disease, older adults, children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion.
- Consult your health care professional if you begin to experience difficulty breathing
- Everyone else should try and limit outdoor activity.
- Consolidate necessary trips